Subject: bug#38587: base64-decode-region breaks encoding

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 16:37:15 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks, I'm using this advice.
>
> (advice-add 'base64-decode-region :after
>             (lambda (beg end &optional _base64url)
>               (decode-coding-region beg end buffer-file-coding-system))
>             '((name . base64-decode-region-with-buffer-coding)))

I think in many cases this will work fine, but you probably will have
Emacs double-decode a lot of data, as the other code in Emacs will
normally call decode-coding-region (if you want to end up with text),
and you'll destroy the bits of your Emacs that decodes base64 data into
images and the like.

(If I read the advice correctly -- I'm not very familiar with advising
functions.)

> So I'm closing this.  Not sure what could be added to documentation.

Something equivalent to what the manual has to say about it would be
nice.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no