Subject: Re: bug#38587: base64-decode-region breaks encoding

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 17:58:29 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 00:40:55 +0200
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> > BASE64 is defined on a sequence of bytes.  It doesn't make sense to
> > apply it to characters.
> 
> But isn't UTF-8 a multibyte encoding represented by a sequence of bytes
> (e.g. when saved to a file)?

When saved to a file, yes.

> Then why base64-encode-region couldn't use the buffer's coding
> to convert the region to a sequence of bytes?

Because it isn't guaranteed that the buffer's encoding is indeed the
right one for this job.

> Also why base64-encode-region accepts region's characters
> only from the charsets ‘eight-bit-control’ and ‘eight-bit-graphic’,
> but not other UTF-8 characters?

Because it wants raw bytes, and only eight-bit charsets fit that
condition.  Eight-bit charset is the charset of raw bytes in a
multibyte buffer or string.

(base64-encode-region can also work on unibyte buffers and strings, in
which case "charset" of such "text" has no meaning.)

> > The input of base64-encode-region needs to be encoded into bytes and the
> > output of base64-decode-region needs to be decoded into characters.  If
> > you do that, you get a full reversible operation.
> 
> I guess base64-encode-region already encodes the region into bytes,
> but only partially - it signals an error on some characters,
> I don't understand why it can't encode all of them.

Once again, because it wants to process only raw bytes.

> But is it still possible to tell base64-decode-region
> about the expected output coding system?  Maybe using
> a prefix arg: C-u M-x base64-decode-region could ask
> for a coding, defaulting to the buffer's coding.

If we want to make such a change, then "C-x RET c" is a better prefix
command, as it is consistent with other commands that accept
coding-system overrides.

> Is there an equivalent of force_encoding('UTF-8') in Emacs?

"C-x RET c utf-8 RET M-x SOME-COMMAND RET"

> Also this doesn't work on the string output:
> 
>   (decode-coding-string (base64-decode-string (base64-encode-string "ä"))
>                         'utf-8)

It will work if you encode "ä" first:

  (decode-coding-string (base64-decode-string
                         (base64-encode-string
			  (encode-coding-string "ä" 'utf-8)))
			'utf-8)