Subject: Re: [bug#38570] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add gx-plugins-lv2.

From: Alexandros Theodotou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 15:35:37 +0000

Hi Ricardo,

I apologize for my tone in the last message, it sounded like I was
yelling at you. Would you still prefer to package these separately? It
would need 43 new packages which isn't very efficient or worth the
effort in my opinion considering that they are mostly very
small/minimal plugins.

Also, it would be great if you could have a look at this meta-package
patch for installing all available lv2-plugins: 
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38571 .

Thanks,
Alex

On Thu, 2019-12-12 at 10:13 +0000, Alexandros Theodotou wrote:
> Hi Ricardo,
> 
> Thanks for taking a look at this.
> 
> On Thu, 2019-12-12 at 10:11 +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > I think it’s better to err on the side of granularity here and
> > provide
> > the lv2 plugins as individual packages.
> > 
> > We could have a meta package that simply propagates all of the
> > individual packages.
> 
> I think this is a very bad idea in this case, considering:
> a) No one will ever want to install specific gxplugins. Usually
> people
> want to install the "gxplugin suite" - or even all available LV2
> plugins
> b) There are !!!!!!43!!!!!! plugins here. Do you realize how painful
> and unnecessary it would be to add and maintain these packages?
> Especially considering the following point
> c) The total installed file size for all of these is only 7mb
> d) These are all from the same person, who explicitly provides a
> meta-
> repository for packagers so it makes sense to offer them in the same
> package
> 
> If you insist though, I would likely just use my own channel for this
> as I don't want to go through the trouble of adding 40 extra
> packages,
> each only a few KB in size.
> 
> Thanks,
> Alex