Subject: bug#38568: closed (Re: bug#38568: Org Mode (as a dependency) is borked)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 02:09:03 +0000

Your bug report

#38568: Org Mode (as a dependency) is borked

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
38568: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38568
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#38568: Org Mode (as a dependency) is borked
From: T460s laptop <[email-masked]>
To: Jelle Licht <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 11:08:21 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Jelle,

Jelle Licht <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hey Guix, 
>
> Org-mode seems to still have some byte compilation issues when used as a
> dependency for other packages. The specific symptom is extremely similar
> to the one reported and fixed at [http://issues.guix.info/issue/38479].
>
> To reproduce:
>  1) Install emacs-org-jira in your profile, and set it up (lots of
>     annoying steps with API tokens, authinfo etc etc)
>  2) Run `M-x org-jira-get-boards':
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     org-jira--render-board: Symbol’s function definition is void: org-outline-overlay-data
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> To see the issue without reproducing it (using bash):
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     $ grep -rni 'org-outline-overlay-data' $(guix build emacs-org-jira)
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> This gives:
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     Binary file org-jira.elc matches
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Byte-compiling the org-jira.el file manually gives an .elc file without
> a reference to `org-outline-overlay-data'. This leads me to believe that
> the previously posted fix for #38479 could be extended to make sure
> Emacs' built-in packages are at the trailing end of EMACSLOADPATH, so
> after any other packages. 
>
> Regards,
> Jelle

Thank you for the report, analysis and reproducer!

This should be fixed with commit e34e02707d on master.

Closing,

Maxim

Subject: Org Mode (as a dependency) is borked
From: Jelle Licht <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 23:06:10 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey Guix, 

Org-mode seems to still have some byte compilation issues when used as a
dependency for other packages. The specific symptom is extremely similar
to the one reported and fixed at [http://issues.guix.info/issue/38479].

To reproduce:
 1) Install emacs-org-jira in your profile, and set it up (lots of
    annoying steps with API tokens, authinfo etc etc)
 2) Run `M-x org-jira-get-boards':
    --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    org-jira--render-board: Symbol’s function definition is void: org-outline-overlay-data
    --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

To see the issue without reproducing it (using bash):
    --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    $ grep -rni 'org-outline-overlay-data' $(guix build emacs-org-jira)
    --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This gives:
    --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    Binary file org-jira.elc matches
    --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Byte-compiling the org-jira.el file manually gives an .elc file without
a reference to `org-outline-overlay-data'. This leads me to believe that
the previously posted fix for #38479 could be extended to make sure
Emacs' built-in packages are at the trailing end of EMACSLOADPATH, so
after any other packages. 

Regards,
Jelle