Subject: bug#38563: closed (Re: bug#38563: 27.0.50; Company popup renders with newlines (?) inheriting the bg properties of the character at next line's bol)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 13:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#38563: 27.0.50; Company popup renders with newlines (?) inheriting the bg properties of the character at next line's bol

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
38563: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38563
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#38563: 27.0.50; Company popup renders with newlines (?) inheriting the bg properties of the character at next line's bol
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 15:22:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 21.12.2019 9:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Yes, this looks like a good solution to me.

Thank you for verifying. Then I'm closing this report.

> In fact, I was about to
> ask you to make a similar (less elegant) change,

Like temporarily changing the face of the underlying character? Yeah, I 
would have paused at that idea.

> because I couldn't
> think of a way to resolve this in core: when a face explicitly asks to
> extend itself past EOL, we cannot in good faith refrain from doing so
> in some use cases.

Let's see if other third-party issues come up, then.

Subject: 27.0.50; Company popup renders with newlines (?) inheriting the bg properties of the character at next line's bol
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 03:13:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Here's an unfortunate new behavior which I didn't have time to report
or properly describe before.

When the next line starts on a character that has a distinct background,
that background is inherited when displaying newlines inside the display
string that renders the popup.

Here are two ways I usually trigger it:

1. Initiate completion on the "Author:" line of a LogEdit buffer (the
next line is an inverse-video line).

2. Have at least one space at the beginning of a line, and have
whitespace-mode on to highlight it in red. Then initiate completion on
the preceding line.

Screenshots are attached.

Needless to say, the latest Emacs 26 doesn't exhibit this problem.