Subject: [bug#38554] [PATCH 0/5] Update python-hy to 0.17.0

From: Brett Gilio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 22:25:34 -0600

Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> writes:

> The next five patches:
> - add dependencies for python-hy 0.17.0 (patches 1,2)
> - update python-hy from 0.13.0 to 0.17.0 (patch 3)
> - add dependencies for python2-hy 0.17.0 (patches 4,5)
>
>
> This will be the last version of python-hy to support python 2. If it is
> better to drop python2-hy now, simply omit patches 4 and 5, and remove
> python2-hy.

Hy Jesse! (Haha.)

Thank you for your patch series. I am sorry for the delay and the lack
of communication regarding your bug report. I could imagine this is
really frustrating. There are some corrections that I think need to be
made before we go forward, and for the sake of education I would like to
propose some revisions. Once we get these revisions, I think we will be
golden for a push to master! So bare with me.

First off, _USUALLY_ we have the package-for-python2 derivatives in the
same commits as the package indicating the original. Thus, your
python2-* patches (4 & 5) can be squashed into their originating commits
(1 & 2) respectively.

In patch 1: You indicate your copyright email as such:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;;; Copyright © 2019 Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Is this correct? Just seems odd to me.

Also in that patch you have too many white space return indications between the
preceeding package, and you have white space return at the EOF. This should be
reduced to one and none, respectively. Next, if you could run `guix
lint` on this package. Your synopsis and description sections are
identical and do not conform to our guidelines. I suspect this was just
the default from running `guix import pypi`.

If you need help with making synopsis and descriptions, here is the
relevant documentation:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Synopses-and-Descriptions.html

In patch 2: There should be a white space return before the package in
this case, but was likely cut off from the improper EOF return in patch
1. Otherwise, this package looks okay aside from the issue with the
synopsis and description.

Lastly, all of the commit messages need a period at the end. And the
sub-header message for the patch which bumps Hy to 0.17 needs a period
as well. You could also remove the redundant [inputs] section and simply
make a comma-separated-list of new inputs. Also, if you could add
something like,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Fixes: <link-to-original-bug-report>.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

to the patch that updates Hy, that way we can know where this patch
series is predicated from. That would be superb!

Once we get these easy changes done we will push! If you could send your
revisions with something like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[PATCH v2 x/3]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Again, I apologize for the radio silence.

-- 
Brett M. Gilio
Homepage -- https://scm.pw/
GNU Guix -- https://guix.gnu.org/