Subject: Re: [bug#38546] [00/11] Update Julia, Fix precompilation, add HTTP.jl

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:22:14 +0100

Hi Nicolò,

Cool that you figured out a source of non-reproducibility.

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 14:45, Nicolò Balzarotti <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot to send the dsfmt patch.  Also, julia's
> SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH patch was named differently. I've fixed this in theattached patches.  You need to apply Add-dsfmt.patch, Update-to-1.3.1
> and then julia-use-SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH.

This patch 'julia-SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH-mtime.patch' is the one you
mentioned here [#], right?

Could you send it as an upstream PR?

[#] https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/34115#issuecomment-568171025

> About reproducibility: if I'm not wrong, sys.so contains Base library
> precompiled ([1]).  Precompilation is still non deterministic (here's
> [2] an issue on github). Something I did to check precompilation:

I am not sure to well understand the source of non-determinism.

Does the patch about SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH fix the issue of [1] and [2]?
Or is it something else?

> I could not get the same results twice (also, size differs).  I'll work
> on this on some spare time (for example, there are other places where
> SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH can be used, but this [3] is a problem I need to
> solve first).

Is the problem [3] not solved by 'julia-SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH-mtime.patch'?

> Maybe 1.3.1 (when reviewed) can be merged, since we have
> the same problem with julia 1.1, but we can wait for the
> source-date-epoch and julia-xyz patches until we solve this.

My opinion is: if a patch is floating around to fix the
source-date-epoch issue, let try to push it upstream. If it is
rejected, let talk later if Guix will include it or not. And in the
meantime, I will try to review the 1.3.1 because yes I agree that it
should be included even if we know it is not reproducible -- the
package Guitarix [@] is updated and not reproducible neither.

[@] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21803

Thank you for working on this.

All the best,
simon

> [1] https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/devdocs/sysimg/
> [2] https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/25900
> [3] https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/34115