Subject: bug#38542: closed (Re: bug#38542: 27.0.50; Cannot create symlinks in Emacs on Windows 10 using Dired command S)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 15:43:02 +0000

Your bug report

#38542: 27.0.50; Cannot create symlinks in Emacs on Windows 10 using Dired command S

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
38542: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38542
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#38542: 27.0.50; Cannot create symlinks in Emacs on Windows 10 using Dired command S
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 17:42:35 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 15:27:37 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I cannot reproduce this.
> 
> I think some subtle factor is at work here, so please tell what was
> the full file name you typed after invoking 'S', when Dired prompted
> you.  Please also say whether the file name you typed was a file or a
> directory.

In a discussion about this on Reddit, it turned out that Raoul became
confused by the change in the wording of the prompt displayed by 'S'
in Dired, and that other than this change vs Emacs 26, there is no
problem with producing symlinks from Dired.

So I'm closing this bug report.

Subject: 27.0.50; Cannot create symlinks in Emacs on Windows 10 using Dired command S
From: Raoul Comninos <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 07:11:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In Emacs Dired (in Windows 10) one cannot create a symlink using the
shortcut command S, as one expects. The symlink can be created if one
uses M-x make-symbolic-link. However, this is not the case if one simply
uses S. The command results in an error saying that the file-already
exists. Also, instead if offering the user a destination for the
symlink, the message in the message buffer identifies the source of the
symlink.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-12-07 built on DESKTOP-M4UH92U
Repository revision: 959bbf30032c365c9e6f08dc9211d6bab3123f35
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18363
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.1909.18363.476)

Recent messages:
Omitting...
Omitted 16 lines.
Omitting...
Omitted 16 lines.
Quit
Omitting...
Omitted 2 lines.
Omitting...
Omitted 2 lines.
Quit

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  forward-w.-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  persistent-scratch-autosave-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/contrib/ox-pandoc/ox-pandoc hides
g:/Documents/.emacs.d/elpa/ox-pandoc-1.150707/ox-pandoc
g:/Documents/.emacs.d/elpa/ox-odt-9.2.6.263/ox-odt hides
c:/msys64/mingw64/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/org/ox-odt

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr org-clock emacsbug sendmail tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell flyspell ispell
face-remap dired-aux dired-x org-tempo tempo ox-pandoc ht dash ox-org
re-builder rx ox-reveal ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match
rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox winner
two-column use-package-bind-key remember recentf tree-widget pdf-occur
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu
pdf-tools compile cus-edit cus-start cus-load pdf-view bookmark pp
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util hydra lv savehist iso-transl
goto-last-change edmacro kmacro find-dired generic time delsel
org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnir gnus-sum url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history mailcap shr url-cookie url-domsuf url-util svg xml dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums text-property-search mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired dired-loaddefs
ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m persistent-scratch bind-key org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list
org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs zenburn-theme cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure
use-package-core finder-inf cl info package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify
dbusbind w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 332200 61058)
 (symbols 48 33878 2)
 (strings 32 111058 4913)
 (string-bytes 1 3475247)
 (vectors 16 44400)
 (vector-slots 8 551313 402518)
 (floats 8 313 201)
 (intervals 56 2939 2118)
 (buffers 1000 52))