Subject: bug#38529: Make --ad-hoc the default for guix environment proposed deprecation mechanism

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 16:06:04 +0100

Hello!

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 at 11:35, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> > Wouldn't having a new name for the new behaviour avoid breakage in this
>> > situation?
>>
>> Yes, that’s correct (that’s also one of the suggestions Konrad made).
>
> Is this statement acted? Is it the consensus by all the maintainers?

All I’m saying is that what EuAndreh wrote above is correct; I’m not
stating anything as to what solution we should implement.  :-)

> And I am not clear about what will happens for "guix environment"?
> Deprecate for sure.
> But after X time: removed or frozen?

I guess that’s the whole point of deprecation.

> As Arne described the process (bottom of [1]), "guix environment" will
> become a kind-of alias of "guix shell/<name-it>". Right?

Yes.

>> We could take that route.  What would we call it, though?  I don’t like
>> “guix shell” because it doesn’t quite reflect what the command is
>> about.  No good idea, though.
>
> Argh! Naming is hard.
> Something that reflects what the command is about: "guix environment"?
> (joke!! ;-))

Yeah!

> Why do you say that "guix shell" does not reflect what the command is about?
> Because the command spawns a new shell with options (expanding it,
> isolating it, etc.)

The command does not necessarily spawn a new shell; it spawns a command
in a well-defined environment, and that command might be a shell.

Thanks,
Ludo’.