Subject: bug#38500: Ruby is built against libruby-static.a

From: Brett Gilio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 12:33:04 -0600

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> writes:

> You could ask Pjotr Prins and David Thompson but I suspect that it was
> simply an oversight: most packages link dynamically by default because
> it's the sane thing to do, and it would have been reasonable to assume
> Ruby did too.

Tobias,
I did some investigating about enabling the --enable-shared flag for
dynamic linkage of the Ruby package. Superficially it seems that simply

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
#:configure-flags (list "--enable-shared")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

takes care of the issue. However, this will trigger a rebuild more along
the lines of core-updates.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Building the following 1261 packages would ensure 3512 dependent
packages are rebuilt:
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It is basically everything from SBCL, R, GNOME, XFCE, several Python
packages, and more which is expected.

So I guess the question is where does this patch go given that it isn't
an update but would still spark a massive rebuild?

&&&

Vicente,
I have a suspicion that this patch will need to rest on core-updates (or
staging) for a number of weeks before it reaches master. In the
meantime, I suggest you just inherit the ruby package in your own
channel with the package arguments modified to reflect the
`#:configure-flags` snippet I have listed above.

Okay. Carry on.

-- 
Brett M. Gilio
https://git.sr.ht/~brettgilio/