Subject: bug#38500: Ruby is built against libruby-static.a

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 16:42:15 +0100

Vincente, Brett,

Brett Gilio 写道：
> Vicente Eduardo <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I would like to have two versions, or at least the dynamic one, 
>> that's the common way
>> Ruby should be built, and also the Guixy style.

Important: static linking isn't the Guixy style at all!

Statically linking different packages ‘subverts’ Guix, can subvert 
grafting and lead to undetected security holes.

> Generally, I think we dynamically link most objects.

Correct.

> _BUT_, I could be
> missing part of the story here. So I am going to wait for the 
> higher
> powers that be to respond.

You could ask Pjotr Prins and David Thompson but I suspect that it 
was simply an oversight: most packages link dynamically by default 
because it's the sane thing to do, and it would have been 
reasonable to assume Ruby did too.

If there is a good reason to link statically, it should be added 
in a comment.

Kind regards,

T G-R