Subject: Re: bug#38497: 27.0.50; Frame is not rendered when frame-resize-pixelwise it 't

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 19:42:01 +0800

> Does the bug appear when you build with xft and _without_ cairo?

The bug disappears then.

Though Gentoo default build turns on cairo if xft is enabled and cairo
is not explicitly disabled.
A comment from ebuild:
USE flag \"cairo\" has no effect if \"xft\" is not set.

> Alternatively, what is a minimal recipe to make it appear with Lucid
> and xft?

The minimal recipe is what I posted in the first email. (Actually, can
be even smaller. See below)

> Something cheaper to test: Does the bug also appear when you disable
> tool bars, menu bars or scroll bars?

No. It disappears. Specifically, it disappears when I disable menu-bar.
Actually, there is no redrawing when I simply do
1. emacs -Q
2. maximise frame
3. M-x menu-bar-mode

Best,
Ihor

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>  > The redrawing bug disappears once I disable --with-xft.
>  > I also tried to change the font to "Adobe sans", "Fira Sans", and "Fira
>  > Code". The bug still persists.
>
> Does the bug appear when you build with xft and _without_ cairo?
> Alternatively, what is a minimal recipe to make it appear with Lucid
> and xft?
>
> Something cheaper to test: Does the bug also appear when you disable
> tool bars, menu bars or scroll bars?  Silly shots in the dark when we
> have an apparently font related bug.  But I have absolutely no clue
> why Lucid builds should behave so differently in this regard.
>
> martin