Subject: Re: bug#38497: 27.0.50; Frame is not rendered when frame-resize-pixelwise it 't

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 09:57:51 +0100

>> ... If not, can you tell me the four values here
 >> when it fails to redraw - that of FRAME_PIXEL_WIDTH (f), pixel_width,
 >> FRAME_PIXEL_HEIGHT (f) and pixel_height.
 >
 > Not sure how to get those.

By running Emacs under the debugger and putting a breakpoint at that
position.  But let's put that aside for the moment since, as you say,
this part is not the real cause of the problem anyway.

 > Actually, this piece of code seems to be a more specific reason
 > triggering the bug (see the relevant patch attached - that patch makes
 > the bug disappear).

Unfortunately, that patch breaks pixelwise resizing.  The frame could
then be resized only in character size increments, defeating the entire
original purpose of 'frame-resize-pixelwise'.

 > I tried your suggestion (no idea how it is different from original code
 > though). It makes no difference.

I would have been surprised if it did.

 > A possible hint to why this code fails to resize the frame is that my
 > WM resizes the frame as soon as it is created. It is not a gradual
 > resizing with mouse, but rather instant resize to pre-calculated size
 > (according to layout). I can sometimes even see the frame being created
 > with much smaller size for a split second followed by resizing it to
 > target size.

How do you create such a frame in the first place?

martin