Subject: Re: bug#38495: Emacs ignores ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xdefaults-hostname

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 12:48:17 +0000

Dear Andrea,
>>>>> Andrea Cardaci <[email-masked]> writes:

    > Hi Colin, Thanks for trying it out.

    > On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 13:11, Colin Baxter <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >> [pid 7771] open("/home/username/.Xdefaults", O_RDONLY) = 10 [pid
    >> 7771] open("/home/username/.Xdefaults-host", O_RDONLY) = -1
    >> ENOENT (No such file or directory) [pid 7771]
    >> open("/home/username/.Xdefaults", O_RDONLY) = 10 [pid 7771]
    >> open("/home/username/.Xdefaults/host", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOTDIR
    >> (Not a directory)

    > Well, this is super weird, if I only place a .Xdefault file in my
    > home and run Emacs via strace I see:

    >> $ strace -f emacs |& grep Xdefaults [pid 31920] openat(AT_FDCWD,
    >> "/home/cyrus/.Xdefaults-hostname", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
    >> file or directory) [pid 31920] openat(AT_FDCWD,
    >> "/home/cyrus/.Xdefaults/hostname", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOTDIR (Not a
    >> directory)

    > Also marginally weird that we're seeing different syscalls (open
    > vs openat).

Good luck on finding a solution. I've reached the end of my sys
abilities.

Best wishes,