Subject: Re: bug#38476: 27.0.50; substring completion feature request

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 13:39:58 +0200

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

> The placement of point in substring completion is sometimes suboptimal.
> E.g. if there two files (or buffers) file1test and file2test and you
> enter `fi TAB' then it completes to `file' with point after the `e',
> which is fine for further input; but if you enter `te TAB' then it
> completes to `test' with point after the second `t', so you have to move
> point to complete the name.  It would be nice if in such cases point
> were placed at the start rather than the end of the partial match.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

I'm not able to reproduce this in Emacs 29 -- it just says "no match"
with "te TAB".

With "*te TAB" it completes to file*test with point after *, which seems
correct, too.

Perhaps you're using a different completion system than the default?  If
not, do you have a recipe to reproduce the problem, starting from "emacs -Q"?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no