Subject: Re: bug#38469: guix gc should keep around recent intermediate build

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 17:39:07 +0100

Hi,

Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Have you tried passing the options '--gc-keep-derivations=yes’ and
>> '--gc-keep-outputs=yes' to guix-daemon?
>
> I had not. I added that right now, and first tests seem to indicate
> that this helps. Thanks!

Yes, I think these options are exactly what you want.

> Would it be a bad idea to make this the default?

I think the current defaults are more appropriate; after all, they
really allow “garbage” to be collected.

> Alternatively, how about some kind of developer config fragment that
> would modify a system configuration with settings that are a good
> idea for Guix development, if not general use? That might also include
> things like setting the $%!^@!*^% guile backtrace columns variable
> for guix-daemon.

I think what you’d want is to set COLUMNS within derivation, not “for
the daemon”.

So I don’t know, I’m sympathetic to the idea of developer settings in
Guix System, but I’m not sure what it could bring beyond these two
options.

In the meantime, I propose to close this bug and to discuss this
potential new feature separately.

Thanks,
Ludo’.