Subject: Re: bug#38452: 26.3; set-frame-position is slightly drifted

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 10:06:22 +0100

> M-! wmctrl -m  ==>
 > Name: GNOME Shell
 > Class: N/A
 > PID: N/A
 > Window manager's "showing the desktop" mode: N/A

OK.  Let's stick to "GNOME Shell" then.

 > I attach the two print screen.

Thanks.  All I can derive from these shots is that GNOME doesn't draw
any borders around a window.  What does evaluating (x-frame-geometry)
yield for such a frame?

 > For (1) I put the dock on the right side but I do not know how to remove
 > the topbar :-(

Given the fact that it's called topbar it maybe even can't be moved to
the bottom of the screen.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Emacs doesn't do its
calculations right for GNOME windows.  Maybe it should try to rely
more on EWMHs instead of using XCB.  Unfortunately, the person who
wrote the code has left us and people knowing much about using size
hints and going up window hierarchies are rare.

martin