Subject: bug#38452: 26.3; set-frame-position is slightly drifted

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:20:22 +0100

> Hmmm I dont know how to et the information about the window manager.
 > I know that my linux is ubuntu 18 and I dont thing that I changed
 > anything arelated to the window manager from the standard configurtation.
 > Do you have some idea of how I could know what is  my window manager ?

If you have it installed you could try wmctrl -m.  If you have not
changed anything, the answer should be probably Mutter for the GNOME 3
desktop.  Note that I'm asking for this information because I'm
considering to add an entry to Emacs' PROBLEMS section, sketching the
behavior you report.  And I wonder that no one else has reported a
similar behavior so far.  BTW are "dock" and "menu bar line" official
nomeclature on GNOME 3?

 >> But the interesting case is whether specifying 'user-position' would
 >> have any impact when the dock and the menu bar line are present on the
 >> same frame, that is, the single display case.

"same frame" was silly, sorry.

 > My new experiment with a single display, the dock at left and menu line
 > at top:
 >
 > (display-monitor-attributes-list)
 > (((name . "eDP-1") (geometry 0 0 1920 1080) (workarea 55 27 1865 1053) (mm-size 309 174) (frames #<frame *notmuch-id:[email-masked]* 0x5289930> #<frame test-frame-set-position-Martin-1.el 0x624cc90>) (source . "Gdk")))
 >
 > (modify-frame-parameters nil '((user-position . t) (left . 0) (top . 0)))
 > nil
 > (pl-lt)
 > " LEFT=45  TOP=19"

So specifying 'user-position' doesn't get us anywhere.  Could you send
us two screenshots of your display?

(1) One where an Emacs frame is positioned at the top left corner of a
     display _without_ dock and menu bar line.  I'd like to see whether
     that frame's decorations are visibly moved to some position
     outside the screen.

(2) One where the Emacs frame is positioned right in the middle of the
     display.

Thanks, martin