Subject: Re: bug#38431: 27.0.50; mouse-drag-region-rectangle needs transient-mark-mode

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 21:42:15 +0100

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 18:44:26 +0100 Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Thank you, I've added a variant of your suggested change and pushed to master
> (9f2145f42d).

I updated and confirm that C-M-mouse-1 now selects a rectangle also when
transient-mark-mode is disabled, and also that I don't see the bad
side-effects I saw with my patch.  Thanks!

> This does not really cure the special case you mention, but unless I'm
> mistaken, linear text selection with the mouse exhibits a similar (identical?)
> quirk. I'm not sure if it's a problem in practice since it requires a specific
> sequence of events.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here; as noted, your patch doesn't
have the bad side-effects I observed with my patch.  And I don't recall
seeing any such behavior when selecting a region with mouse-1 help down
(I assume that's what you mean by linear text selection with the mouse),
before your patch and don't see it with it either.

> Is the change good enough for everyday use? If not, please help elaborate, and
> if you think that linear text selection needs attention.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, I see no problems with
selection (rectangular or linear) with the mouse now.

Steve Berman