Subject: Bug status? '.png' files with executable permissions

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 01:22:45 +0100

Dear Bengt,

The bug report [1] points out files with unexpected permission; based
on extension filename.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38422

It is not an security issue or the Guix packager did not carefully
check the validity of these files.

If you are security paranoid, you *have to* check by yourself all the
files using "guix build -S" because in paranoid mode you cannot trust
Guix packagers (and Guix committers neither).

In normal mode, 2 options:

 a- propose a patch to change the permission for each offending package
 b- report upstream

Well, at least  these 3 packages docbook-xsl, faba-icon-theme, and
moka-icon-theme comes with unexpected .png file permission.

On the long term, I am not convinced that adding automatic check and
permission change based on filename extension would really add Quality
Assurance. Because we are speaking about quality, not security.

I am inclined to close this bug. What do you think?

All the best,
simon