Subject: bug#38422: .png files in /gnu/store with executable permissions (555)

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 23:08:55 -0500

Hi Bengt,

Bengt Richter <[email-masked]> writes:

> On +2019-11-29 07:20:41 -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> The proper solution is to send bug reports to the upstream developers of
>> docbook-xsl, faba-icon-theme, and moka-icon-theme, asking them to fix
>> the permissions of the *.png files in their source tarballs.
>>
> That I haven't done. Is there a standard way to do it?

No.

> "guix show moka-icon-theme" tells me homepage, but it would be nice
> to have a guix show --verbose that would show bug reporting info :)

It would be nice, but it would also be an enormous amount of work.
First we'd need to devise a way to represent that information, and then
we'd need to add it to each of our 10K+ packages.  It would also be an
additional job to do when adding new packages.  I'm not sure it's worth
all that work.  We already record the home page, and from there it's
usually not much work to find how to report bugs.  In cases where it
_is_ difficult to find out how to report bugs, that's arguably a problem
that should be fixed upstream.

What do you think?

      Regards,
        Mark