Subject: Re: bug#38404: 27.0.50; deleting files with ~ on the end with tramp did not work

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 13:00:23 +0100

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> Deleting file /etc/courier/aliases/20191810~ did not work inside of
> Tramp, there was "permission denied". But other files could be
> deleted. I was root at the time and I could delete any file. When I
> entered with ssh to system as root I could delete the file. With Tramp
> it did not work.

I cannot repoduce it:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
# sudo touch /etc/touch~
# sudo ls -l /etc/touch~
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Nov 28 12:54 /etc/touch~
# emacs -Q --batch --eval '(delete-file "/ssh:|sudo::/etc/touch~")'
Password for /sudo:root@host: ********
# sudo ls -l /etc/touch~
ls: cannot access '/etc/touch~': No such file or directory
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Does the problem also happen for you if you start "emacs -Q"? If yes,
could you pls reproduce it step by step, and show those steps? Pls set
also tramp-verbose to 6, andd show the resulting Tramp debug buffer.

Best regards, Michael.