Subject: bug#38381: 27.0.50; Bump Gnus version to 5.14, properly encode group names on disk

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 16:50:11 -0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Now Emacs 27.1 is on its way, and I would really like to make this
>> change permanent. The attached patch moves all the ugly compatibility
>> code into an upgrade routine as part of `gnus-convert-old-newsrc'. Users
>> will be prompted once to upgrade, and then the various files will be
>> fixed to use properly encoded group names, and you won't be able to go
>> back.
>
> I don't think that's a good idea.  The .newsrc.eld file should remain
> backwards compatible -- people do move back and forth between newer and
> older versions of Emacs.

Okay, but there is a whole upgrade mechanism in place that's
specifically for upgrading the .newsrc.eld file to a new version, so
this wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

That said, the current situation seems to be working fine; if we've got
to keep it, we've got to keep it. I'd like to keep this bug report open,
though.

Eric