Subject: Re: bug#38378: 26.3.50; [PATCH] Add the hierarchy library

From: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 13:21:19 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:
> Eli said the core would benefit from it, but I wonder which existing 
> features exactly could use it now.
>
> If none, I think GNU ELPA is the better place for it. And as soon as 
> someone finds a specific use for it in the core, moving would be trivial.

Clément Pit-Claudel suggested "the tree displayed by profiler-report."
in https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-10/msg00675.html.

Maybe proced's tree mode?

I stated my opinion about this matter in the past (see
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-10/msg00686.html):

Damien Cassou wrote:
> If you think Emacs would benefit from having hierarchy included,
> please do include it. My philosophy is more in the opposite direction
> (getting rid of as much as possible in the core to facilitate release
> and to let package maintainers use the tools they want)

To which Eli answered:

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> As much as possible, but no more than that, I presume? Then the issue
> here is whether this capability should or shouldn't be in core, as
> other basics.  I think it should.

I let you decide.

-- 
Damien Cassou

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill