Subject: bug#38370: 26.2; Confusing message 'Hunk already applied' in diff-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 16:54:51 +0200

ndame <[email-masked]> writes:

> Recently I turned on next-error-follow-minor-mode in diff buffers, so
> the source context is shown automatically as I move around in the diff
> buffer.
>
> It works well, but after a while I noticed there is always a 'Hunk
> already applied' message in the echo area.

[...]

> I found it confusing, because I was just moving around, I didn't try
> to apply anything, so this message wasn't really informative, it
> stopped my flow with its unwanted appearance and reference to an other
> operation.
>
> Shouldn't this 'Hunk already applied' message appear only if the user
> actually tries to apply something?

Yeah, I've always found that messaging to be confusing and worrisome, as
if I had entered a command to change the source code instead of just
moving around in it.

I've now removed it.

Looking at the code in diff-mode, as far as I can see, the actual
"apply" functions will still output the hunk status.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no