Subject: bug#38360: closed (Re: bug#38360: [PATCH] gnu: retroarch: Disable Online Updater [FSDG fix].)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 21:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#38360: Retroarch might violate FSDG

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
38360: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38360
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#38360: [PATCH] gnu: retroarch: Disable Online Updater [FSDG fix].
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:20:12 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Nicolò, Guix,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix 写道：
> * gnu/packages/emulators.scm (retroarch)[source]: Add patch and 
> snippet.
> * packages/patches/retroarch-disable-online-updater.patch: New 
> file.
> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Add it.

That patch was incomplete, but I've pushed a similar fix as 
775497549c6114ebdce57e787c94d5fedc368e49.

I'm marking this as done.  Let me know if there's anything I 
missed.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Subject: Retroarch might violate FSDG
From: Nicolò Balzarotti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 15:15:01 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello guix!

How I reported today on the IRC #guix channel:

We might have a problem on how retroarch is packaged. I've never used it,
tried just now. There's the "core download" section where it downloads
"$core.so.zip". Those are .so files:
.config/retroarch/cores/atari800_libretro.so:     file format elf64-x86-64.
I think we should either compile them and ship them or remove the download
section or something.
Also, when downloading cores there are no license info

nckx provided this [1] as a useful link. It seems that some of the plugins
are available for non-commercial projects only (so not compatible with the
GPLv3, used by retroarch).

It is something we should investigate and address, both for licensing
issues and for safety (and because we do not want to ship precompiled
binaries).

Thanks, Nicolò

[1] https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-license-violations