Subject: bug#3835: 23.1.50; AUCTeX preview whole buffer or document leads to crashes

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:04:53 +0200

Hello!

Launching GNU Emacs with -Q, teaching it to learn the load path to  
AUCTeX 11.85, making it require auctex (and preview) I load a LaTeX  
document. Choosing to create *any* kind of preview from the menu lets  
GNU Emacs instantly crash – but not when I type C-c C-p C-<whatever>  
which succeeds. In *shell* buffer from which I launched it is reported:

	X protocol error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)  
on protocol request 53

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2009-07-10 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--x-includes=/ 
usr/X11R6/include' '--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib' '--enable- 
locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -fPIC - 
mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize- 
register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition - 
fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'LDFLAGS=-dead_strip - 
multiply_defined suppress' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp -I/usr/include/ 
openssl -I/sw/include/pango-1.0 -I/sw/lib/fontconfig2/include -I/usr/ 
local/include -I/sw/include''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

I hope to die before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.
			- Donald E. Knuth, 2001-10-02 in Tübingen.