Subject: Re: bug#38343: 27.0.50; vc git: Cannot edit outgoing log (like git commit --amend)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 00:49:18 +0200

On 25.11.2019 22:16, Fredrik Nyqvist wrote:
> Yes, I have tried the option you mention to edit the last commit with 
> C-x C-e and it is working fine.
> But It seems that it only allows amending the last commit if I have 
> edited a file.

Yes. Not sure how to change an arbitrary commit in Git anyway (without 
interactive rebase). The best approximation looks like this:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/48999882/615245

> As I understand it I need to edit a file and then do vc-next-action to 
> get to the log-edit buffer
> where you can do C-x C-e.

Yes.

> I could not find a way to do this if just the commit message is supposed 
> to be updated.

And that is indeed the main downside of our current solution.

(The way to do it is to edit, call vc-next-action, then undo the edit in 
the file, but commit the amended message anyway. Which could be more 
efficient).