Subject: Re: webauthn support?

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 22:14:30 -0800

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have a non-Guix GNU/Linux machine with Firefox, on which this
> problem does not occur, and I am able to log in correctly using my
> token (in Firefox).  I will try building IceCat 68 from source
> manually on that distribution.

I have successfully built IceCat using the Guix preview source (guix
build -S icecat) on a foreign GNU/Linux distro.  Things I noticed:

- When IceCat 68 is built from source on this foreign distro (without
  using any software from Guix to do the build), the built IceCat 68
  works.  The "Unknown U2F Error" does not occur.  This means that the
  system is configured correctly to allow me to use my security token,
  and IceCat is built correctly to use it.

- However, on the same foreign distro, when I install IceCat 68 from
  Guix, it doesn't work.  I get an "Unknown U2F Error".

- Reminder: Firefox also works on this foreign distro.  The "Unknown U2F
  Error" does not occur.

This suggests a bug in the Guix IceCat 68 packaging, but not the IceCat
68 source built by Guix.  For example, perhaps the Guix package
definition for IceCat 68 lacks a required runtime dependency for this
use case.  I will see if I can figure it out.  I think I will look into
the configuration/build logs/logic to see if we're missing a dependency
that is required for webauthn, U2F, PKCS11, or some other hardware token
thing.  I also think it might be productive to experiment using strace
to see if I can determine any differences in what's going on between the
good case and the bad case.  If anyone has any advice about how to
determine what code is actually emitting the "Unknown U2F Error", that
would really help me narrow down the possibilities quite a bit.

-- 
Chris