Subject: bug#38341: webauthn support?

From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 17:11:29 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, Chris Marusich wrote:

>> I'm typing that from memory, so it might actually be "Unknown U2F
>> Exception"; I'm not 100% sure.  But it's definitely a little window that
>> appears, which says something along those lines, with no additional
>> information.  Is this the same problem you see, Jack?

Yes, this is a similar to what I see.

On one site, I see this message: "Security key authentication failed."
On another site, I don't get an error message, but can't make it past the 
"Security device authentication page".

The hardware token I'm using is a solokey, which as an LED that changes 
color when the computer has asked it to do something and I need to press 
the button. When webauthn doesn't work the LED color never changes.

> Jack, does your error come with a specific message of any kind?  Does it
> occur when using the Guix-built IceCat preview?  Does it occur when you
> build it manually on a non-Guix GNU/Linux system, following a procedure
> like the one I describe above?

The error occurs using the Guix-built Icecat preview. I have tried 
building the preview by hand on Fedora 31, but have not gotten it to 
successfully build yet.

One error seems to be:

"""
Some errors have detailed explanations: E0119, E0204.
For more information about an error, try `rustc --explain E0119`.
error: could not compile `style`.
"""

I tried to follow your build instructions with rust and cargo from the (in 
this case) Fedora repositories, and cbindgen form `cargo install`. Perhaps 
the Fedora rust is too new?

"""
$ rustc  --version
rustc 1.39.0
"""

Some musings: I didn't see any u2f-related dependencies to satisfy before 
starting the build (I wondered if the Guix package was missing an input). 
The C++ compiler being used was clang++. I think g++ is being used on 
Guix.

Best,
Jack