Subject: Re: bug#3833: 23.0.96; Default for desktop-buffers-not-to-save omits files

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:35:01 +0300

>> I think that variable's default should be nil.  I think it is up to
>> the user to decide that she doesn't want to record some of the
>> buffers/files.  It is no business of desktop.el to decide for the
>> user.  Especially since there is no way of telling desktop.el to
>> override the value of desktop-buffers-not-to-save for some specific
>> buffer, short of renaming the buffer.
>
> I agree that .log should be removed.  However, the two other items seem
> to make sense: Gnus and FTP sessions, because desktop.el can't recreate
> those.  If you'd like to remove .log, please go ahead and do so on the
> trunk.

I find the value ".log" useful because it helps not to load usually
large log files, but I agree that this should be a personal preference
because it is natural to expect that desktop.el will restore all files
it can recreate.

As for Gnus and FTP sessions, we could try to ignore them using
`desktop-modes-not-to-save' or `desktop-buffer-mode-handlers'
if they have a non-default mode.

>> Similarly with desktop-files-not-to-save: its default should be nil,
>> IMO.
>
> These are remote (Tramp/ange-ftp) files.  Again, I think the rationale
> is that desktop.el can't recreate them properly.

recentf.el uses two predicates `file-remote-p' and `file-readable-p' to
decide which files should be kept.  Maybe desktop.el should do the same?

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/