Subject: Re: 23.0.96; Default for desktop-buffers-not-to-save omits files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:46:43 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 14:44:27 -0400
> 
> I agree that .log should be removed.  However, the two other items seem
> to make sense: Gnus and FTP sessions, because desktop.el can't recreate
> those.

The fact that Gnus makes buffers named nn.a7 does not mean there
cannot be a file or buffer by that name that has nothing to do with
Gnus.  Likewise, there can legitimately be a file or buffer named
literally "(ftp)".

If these are names of buffers that many users would like to omit, we
can make them one of the choices we offer, but I don't think we should
make them the default.

Also, I think desktop.el should check that buffers mentioned in
desktop-buffers-not-to-save don't have an associated file.  Files
should be mentioned in desktop-files-not-to-save.

> If you'd like to remove .log, please go ahead and do so on the
> trunk.

Done.

> > Similarly with desktop-files-not-to-save: its default should be nil,
> > IMO.
> 
> These are remote (Tramp/ange-ftp) files.

Only mostly so.  They can be regular files as well.

> Again, I think the rationale is that desktop.el can't recreate them
> properly.

Why not?  If they exist on the remote host, I think it can.