Subject: Re: bug#38317: Buffer-local variables don't work as history for read-from-minibuffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 21:25:00 +0200

> From: Federico Tedin <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 19:50:00 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Thanks. In what part of the manual would you document this? I was
> thinking of either in:
> 
> 1) The "Minibuffer History" section (but it doesn't mention the actual
> HIST variable anywhere in there, though, and never mentions any specific
> minibuffer-reading function)

That section does mention the history variables, and even includes a
list of them.  So I'm not sure why you say it doesn't.

> Should I update the docstring for `read-from-minibuffer' as well? I
> would like to add two things: that the value can be buffer-local, and
> that the newly read item will be added to the history list.

That it adds to the history is worth mentioning, but the fact that it
can be buffer-local we don't normally say explicitly, because it's
expected to "just work".