Subject: bug#38309: Recent $EMACSLOADPATH changes crash gnome-session

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 23:10:15 +0900

Hello Clément,

[email-masked] (Clément Lassieur) writes:

[...]

>> If those affected judge the situation dire enough, I don't mind
>> reverting the changes to the Emacs library loading mechanism for the
>> time being.
>
> Please, do so :)
>
> Lots of users don't have that bug, but there's still a change in their
> workflow: they have to restart their session after installing new Emacs
> packages.  Maybe when that bug is fixed and this set of patch is
> re-applied, there will be an opportunity to communicate about this?  On
> info-guix maybe, or on 'guix pull'.  It would explain the pros and cons
> of this new way of dealing with Emacs.  I don't know if there was such
> an announcement already, I didn't see it.  WDYT?

I was ready to revert the changes when I saw a reply from Leo Prikler in
this thread.  They had really good ideas that I believe fix the
annoyances you reported about the recent changes, while preserving the
new plus points (per profile management of Emacs packages, 'guix
environment --ad-hoc' that works for Emacs, simplified build system).

Perhaps you could try it out and see if it indeed fixes the problems you
reported?

Thank you,

Maxim