Subject: Re: bug#38309: Recent $EMACSLOADPATH changes crash gnome-session

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 10:30:11 +0100

Hello,

[email-masked] (Clément Lassieur) skribis:

> Before the patches, restarting Emacs was enough to have new packages
> installed.  Now I have to reboot my computer every time I 'guix package
> -i emacs-something'.  Emacs is central to my workflow and I often change
> things around (as do a lot of Guix users).  It is inconvenient, really.

I wasn’t aware of that, it sounds like a drawback.  I wonder if
Emacs-Guix knows how to deal with that (until now it was able to
directly load Emacs packages you’d install with itself).

I think I would lean towards a revert (that is, a single commit
reverting the 3 (?) patches that implement this new approach).

Then we can discuss the change with less pressure and make sure
stakeholders weigh in (they could have done that before but apparently
many, myself included, missed that opportunity :-)).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.