Subject: bug#38309: Recent $EMACSLOADPATH changes crash gnome-session

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 02:23:55 +0900

Hello Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> There would be a couple more commits to include in the revert to undo
>> the changes (one to the build system, others to adapt the renaming of
>> the emacs-set-load-path phase for some packages:
>
> Oh indeed.
>
> I must say I haven’t looked closely at the changes nor at the reasons
> for the regression, but IIUC, the regression is serious enough that we
> should have a way to address it quickly.

The regression only seems to affect the "restarting the session",
e.g. logout then login, not the first boot, which means there's an
(inconvenient) workaround available for single user systems.

I've been trying to reproduce in a VM to get a backtrace (if those
affected by the problem could produce one, that'd help pinpoint the
problematic call to PCRE and its origin), but that'll need some more
time.

If those affected judge the situation dire enough, I don't mind
reverting the changes to the Emacs library loading mechanism for the
time being.

Thanks,

Maxim