Subject: Re: bug#38309: Recent $EMACSLOADPATH changes crash gnome-session

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 02:02:07 +0900

Hello everyone,

Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I agree that a solution needs to be implemented now, it’s not cool to
>> leave fellow GNOME users without Emacs for several days.  :-)
>
> That did not leave me without Emacs. It left me without GNOME.
>
> Priorities! :-)

Haha!

> (I cannot work without Emacs. It has all my planning and time tracking)
>
> Best wishes,
> Arne

Sorry for the delays -- just wanted to say: I have another set of
patches that will allow continuing to use the guix.d subdirectory, as
well as allowing to reload newly installed packages on the fly.

It uses a hybrid of techniques found in the previous and current
site-start.el, and uses a custom GUIX_EMACSLOADPATH instead of
EMASCLOADPATH for full control of the load path without interference
from Emacs default behavior.

I'll post the new patches to "guix-patches", after I'll have them
rebased on what's in master.

A particular thank you to Clément for spending time testing (and
pushing) the reworked patches authored by the one who broke their setup
;-).

Maxim