Subject: bug#38296: Allow Option key to be modifier for non-char key and mouse events

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 21:12:07 +0000

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 07:39:49PM +0100, Mattias Engdegård wrote:
> It was pointed out to me that it would be useful to set this
> behaviour individually for either Option key. This can be
> accomplished in various ways. For example,
> ns-alternate-modifier-char-entry could be changed from a boolean
> into taking either of the values nil, left, right or both,
> indicating to which Option key it applies. Or we could simply use
> two separate boolean variables. I'd appreciate advice from the NS
> maintainers about what practice is best.

I was thinking about this and although the patch looks good to me, I
don’t find the variable name very descriptive. Perhaps it would be
better to go with something like ns-alternate-modifier-function-only?

Also probably best to add an ns-option-... alias too.

Do you think this functionality will only be required for the
alt/option key or will there be a demand to add it for command too? In
my experience the characters available via command are rather more
obscure, but I’ve little experience with non‐UK keyboards.

Anyway, as to your question, I think I prefer the two variable
approach. It mirrors the existing modifier variables.

Thanks for working on this.
-- 
Alan Third