Subject: Re: bug#38294: [PATCH] Handle killing of virtual buffers in Ido

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:16:37 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> The idea specifically with ido-use-virtual-buffers (from reading its doc
> string, not from being a user) is that one shouldn't have to worry about
> whether or not the buffer is open or not.  To my mind, that implies that
> it means that even when manually killing buffers, I should still be able
> to switch to it.
>
> (It also seems a bit too surprising to now change the long-standing
> default behaviour.)

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.  The only question is whether manual
killing should be handled differently than automatic killing (i.e., by
midnight.el).

But...  that would be a kinda finicky interface, with C-x k working one
way, and indirect calls to it another.

So I agree with you that this is probably not something we want....

> However, if some users specifically want this behaviour only for
> auto-cleaned buffers (e.g. by midnight), I don't see why we couldn't
> provide it optionally.

An option for something as obscure as this seems like overkill.

> Anyways, I don't know if there is anything useful in the above or if I'm
> just rambling.  I agree that it would be good to hear the opinion of
> someone else who actually uses this.

It would.  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no