Subject: bug#38294: [PATCH] Handle killing of virtual buffers in Ido

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 15:01:17 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> What this patch changes is exactly this behavior: once a virtual buffer
>>> has been “killed” from C-x k, it no longer appears in the list of
>>> buffers.
>>>
>>> Let me know if this makes sense.
>>
>> I think the current behaviour makes sense, but I can very much see
>> that some users would want what you suggest.  Both choices here are
>> valid.
>
> I think so, too, but I don't use this combination of features, so I'm
> not sure.
>
> It does seem natural that killing a buffer would remove it from the list
> of buffers ido-mode offers up, though, so I'm not totally sure whether
> any ido users really expect this behaviour, or if they've just lived
> with it as a bug.
>
> Any opinions here?

The idea specifically with ido-use-virtual-buffers (from reading its doc
string, not from being a user) is that one shouldn't have to worry about
whether or not the buffer is open or not.  To my mind, that implies that
it means that even when manually killing buffers, I should still be able
to switch to it.

(It also seems a bit too surprising to now change the long-standing
default behaviour.)

However, if some users specifically want this behaviour only for
auto-cleaned buffers (e.g. by midnight), I don't see why we couldn't
provide it optionally.

Anyways, I don't know if there is anything useful in the above or if I'm
just rambling.  I agree that it would be good to hear the opinion of
someone else who actually uses this.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas