Subject: bug#3829: 23.0.96; Cannot read gpg file

From: Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:06:46 +0900

severity 3829 wishlist
thanks

>>>>> In <[email-masked]> 
>>>>>	Андрей Парамонов <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 2009/7/13 Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>:
> > How about M-x find-file-literally if you just want to see the binary
> > content?
> >

> Yes, this works (that's the behavior I expected). However, some other
> functions (i.e. mail-attach-file) do not work.

Well, please elaborate what is your problem...  Do you really want to
attach binary files with mail-attach-file?  I think it is not feasible
and most people use uuencode before attaching.

I believe that Emacs commands which read binary contents are carefully
designed whether or not to do automatic decoding (i.e. mml-attach-file
in Gnus).  If you find _real problems_, please let me know.

> Also, the message "File exists, but cannot be read" is a bit vague to
> me (file could not be read due to many reasons, i.e. file
> permissions).

Agreed.  Unfortunatelly the improvement is not as easy to implement as
expected.  This would also be a feature request.

> Is it possible to fall back to find-file-literally behavior, if a gpg
> file cannot be opened with the new method?

Though there is no fall back mechanism, you can stop it manually by:

C-u -1 M-x auto-encryption-mode

Regards,
-- 
Daiki Ueno