Subject: Re: bug#38289: 27.0.50; C-c C-w not working if signature from gnus-posting-styles applies

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 13:38:24 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> How about a Gnus-specific minor-mode to run in message buffers that are
> expected to be tied to Gnus? Like gnus-message-minor-mode, whatever. The
> minor mode could do two things:

That does sound cleaner than the current Gnus/Message integration, which
is based inserting some text in the buffer, and then locally setting a
bunch of Message variables to disable the default action.

But I'm not sure how it would look in practice.

> 1. Hook into header completion, so that completing a mail address in
> any of the To/From/Cc/Bcc fields would run the whole message through
> gnus-posting-styles again, possibly re-writing other parts of the draft
> message.

Hm...  I'm not sure I see how that would work.  The posting styles just
insert a bunch of stuff and can eval whatever.

> The beautiful future I'm imagining is that an nnimap server queries its
> remote server for "special use" mailboxes, so that it knows which of its
> groups is \Drafts, which is \Sent, etc. Now we save the message as a
> draft, and the minor mode first checks with the X-Gnus-Server: "can you
> handle drafts?" The server can! Or it can't, and the message goes into
> nndraft. Or the message is sent, and if there's no Gcc, the minor mode
> asks the server, "Can you archive this somewhere?" And hey, maybe the
> server can.
>
> All this confined to a minor-mode, of course.

It sounds a bit abstract -- would it ignore nndrafts if the IMAP server
has \Drafts?  (Auto-saving over nnimap isn't recommended, really.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no