Subject: bug#38287: 26.3.50; filenotify.el: the Chinese file name in the event is messy code

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 17:32:24 +0100

HaiJun Zhang <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> So file name comparing in the event callback of filenotify.el always
> fails. And there is no autorevert for this file.

Well, it is hard to analyse based on a .png file. Could you please
uncomment the line 93 in filenotify.el (it is a message call), and rerun
the test? There shall be debug output in the *Messages* buffer then.

> In GNU Emacs 26.3.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0, NS
> appkit-1561.61 Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G8037))
>  of 2019-10-30 built on jundeMac
> Repository revision: 3ee8ee8476fef2a5e8159f7597e36e0953295ce2

It's a Mac. That means, kqueue is the file-notify backend.

Does the underlying file system supports utf8? Is it enabled? Maybe
there's something to convert, when getting a kevent from the system?

> Important settings:
>   value of $LANG: zh_CN.UTF-8
>   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

That looks OK, although I'm not sure whether the coding system shall be
utf-8-hfs or something like this.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to debug on Mac :-(

Best regards, Michael.