Subject: bug#38287: closed (Re: bug#38287: 26.3.50; filenotify.el: the Chinese file name in the event is messy code)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 14:43:02 +0000

Your bug report

#38287: 26.3.50; filenotify.el: the Chinese file name in the event is messy code

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
38287: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38287
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#38287: 26.3.50; filenotify.el: the Chinese file name in the event is messy code
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: HaiJun Zhang <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 16:42:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: HaiJun Zhang <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 02:33:42 +0000
> 
> It is fixed by your patch. Thanks. 

Thanks, I installed it.

> I print the value of file and encoded_file with safe_debug_print in kqueue.c. The former is normal string. The
> latter is messy code. What is the encoding of encoded_file? The value of file-name-coding-system is
> utf-8-hfs. How much does utf-8-hfs diff with utf-8-unix? Is utf-8-hfs not really utf-8?

encoded_file is in UTF-8 on your system.  What you perceive as "messy
code" is how Emacs displays unibyte strings, which are actually
sequences of raw bytes, not of characters.

utf-8 and utf-8-hfs are not exactly the same, but for Chinese
characters they produce the same results, because those characters
don't have decompositions.

Subject: 26.3.50; filenotify.el: the Chinese file name in the event is messy code
From: HaiJun Zhang <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 03:50:26 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

So file name comparing in the event callback of filenotify.el always fails. And there is no autorevert for this file.

In GNU Emacs 26.3.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0, NS appkit-1561.61 Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G8037))
 of 2019-10-30 built on jundeMac
Repository revision: 3ee8ee8476fef2a5e8159f7597e36e0953295ce2
Windowing system distributor ‘Apple', version 10.3.1561
Recent messages:
+++ new: 31, ( *Echo Area 1*)
t
next-line: End of buffer [2 times]
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [13 times]
next-line: End of buffer [14 times]

Configured using:
 ‘configure —with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp’ --with-modules --disable-acl
 —without-makeinfo CFLAGS=-O2’

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG GLIB NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES
THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode
autorevert easy-mmode filenotify subr-x map edmacro kmacro tex-mode
compile shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring latexenc package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars windmove ido seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib display-line-numbers
hl-line elec-pair time-date china-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 263112 15865)
 (symbols 48 22940 1)
 (miscs 40 405 241)
 (strings 32 42961 1400)
 (string-bytes 1 1130894)
 (vectors 16 40024)
 (vector-slots 8 826529 14554)
 (floats 8 63 332)
 (intervals 56 503 0)
 (buffers 992 14))