Subject: Re: bug#38282: 26.3; goto-line should not share input history with other commands

From: Federico Tedin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 18:05:32 +0100

> I think a per-buffer history for goto-line makes sense, but I was also
> wondering whether read-number should have its own separate history, too.
>
> This would, I think, not interoperate well with that (that is, if
> `read-number' passes a different variable to read-from-minibuffer than
> nil).
>
> So I think a better solution would be to fix the problem with
> buffer-local variables not working in read-from-minibuffer first, and
> then we could extend read-number with a history parameter instead of
> hacking around the problem this way.

No problem, I'll take a shot at solving the `read-from-minubuffer'
issue first.

After that's done, and after adding the HIST parameter to `read-number',
what should happen if `read-number' is called with HIST as nil? Should
it use its own history variable? (Which probably won't be buffer-local,
I imagine)