Subject: Re: bug#38273: emacs doesn't open files

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 18:19:51 +0100

Hi Maxim,

Thank you to looking.

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 at 22:51, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Did you sort out your issue?  Perhaps logging out then back in could
> define the missing EMACSLOADPATH environment variable? Or manually
> sourcing your current profile's etc/profile and starting Emacs from that
> shell?

Yes, sourcing the current etc/profile fixes the issue.

Therefore, EMACSLOADPATH should be the culprit and I had done a
mistake, not enough investigating before reporting. My bad! Sorry!

> I'll try to isolate how to reproduce the problem; if you have a way to
> reproduce it I'm interested!

I think it comes from the new EMACSLOADPATH variable. The new Emacs
binary is looking at it so if the etc/profile is not yet sourced then
troubles arises.
That's why it does not happen with "-Q" because no-site-file and
no-site-lisp, i.e., EMACSLOADPATH is not "required".
However, "-q" just turns off the ~/.emacs and needs EMACSLOADPATH.

So I think to reproduce: install an old Emacs, upgrade, do not source
again the current profile, launch Emacs from this profile.

Well, it is not an issue but a bad practise. :-)
Sorry.

All the best,
simon