Subject: Re: bug#38261: Recent changes to emacs build system

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 06:29:05 +0900

[email-masked] writes:

[...]

> Thank you for your work Maxim, I think most of them are resolved
> now. I do wonder about what prompted the change, though. Perhaps you
> might share?
>
> Brett

The main motivation was to gain the ability to install Emacs in a given
profile and have it use the Elisp libraries installed in said profile
(and only from that profile).  Using a search path specification is the
native Guix mechanism to find libraries for systems that mostly rely on
the FHS and means it work consistently across profiles, environments, or
other features supported by Guix.

There was a discussion here about this change and some feedback in the
two weeks it was published preceding its merge:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-11/msg00000.html.

HTH!

Maxim