Subject: bug#3824: This problem persists

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 16:23:17 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I use #; comments extensively in my Racket code, and have been bitten
>> by emacs's weird handling of it. Taylor pointed me to this bug to
>> follow up.
>
> Does the patch below fix it for you?

Two patches were proposed in this bug report, and this patch (looking
quite similar) was applied a month later.

commit 0a5cfeeecb9e1038f9df3b34b61b797e56213a7b
Author:     Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Tue May 20 16:12:30 2014 -0400

    * lisp/progmodes/scheme.el (scheme-mode-syntax-table): Remove hack for
    #; comments.
    (scheme-syntax-propertize, scheme-syntax-propertize-sexp-comment):
    New functions.
    (scheme-mode-variables): Set syntax-propertize-function instead of
    font-lock-syntactic-face-function.
    (scheme-font-lock-syntactic-face-function): Delete.

However, the original test case still fails:

> Consider the following line of Scheme code:
>
>    (foo bar #;(baz (quux #;() zot) mumble) frotz)
>
> If the point is at the beginning, hitting C-M-f causes Emacs to barf
> on imbalanced parentheses. 

(Or perhaps it fails again?)  At least, in Emacs 28, putting that into
/tmp/foo.sch and hitting `C-M-f' gives me an error.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no