Subject: Re: bug#38232: Cuirass: Some builds fail although their log file ends with 'build-succeeded'

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 21:22:20 +0100

Hello,

Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Perhaps the build failed (transient failure or something) but was
>> eventually restarted either as a dependency of some other build or
>> manually on berlin.  In that case Cuirass may be unaware that the build
>> eventually succeeded, hence the discrepancy.
>
> Thank you for the explanation.  Would it make sense to copy the log file
> to some other place when the build is done?  The web interface would
> fetch it there, and we would be sure it matches the associated Cuirass
> build.

Build logs are kept by guix-daemon under /var/log/guix/drvs.  They are
indexed by derivation, meaning that there can be only one log per
derivation.

This is a limitation in cases where builds are retried.  Initially
Mathieu Lirzin thought about keeping logs elsewhere so we could
distinguish between several attempts to build a derivation.  However,
that’s kind of redundant with what the daemon does, and not frequently
useful.

Now, it is indeed useful in some cases, so we could do something like
you describe.

Thanks,
Ludo’.