Subject: bug#38226: guix pull: error: build failed: [...] ice-9/boot-9.scm:109:20: Syntax error:

From: Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 12:15:35 +0100

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 22:14:07 +0100
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hello Ludo’,

> 
> Here’s a trick to do that (for commit 57c7bfec6, on x86_64-linux):

hmm, I am on i686 – is the trick still applicable?
I will switch to root’s profile with “sudo -i”, but that is ok, right?
(If you please send your OK – then I will try it...)

My current root profile contains three packages:

~~~
glibc-utf8-locales	2.25	out	/gnu/store/9vv6szr949m8mrqfyj7bfkxi8g5mfr2y-glibc-utf8-locales-2.25
guix	0.13.0-2.de9d8f0	out	/gnu/store/34541bys6lh3wjwjn81b9bxjb93q83qx-guix-0.13.0-2.de9d8f0
glibc	2.25	out	/gnu/store/2bw8y2k8fi9n6yl43ks0m62z919kgrfv-glibc-2.25
~~~

I guess I cannot use a simple “sudo -i guix package -u guix” as a
workaround for the failing “sudo -i guix pull”, as it would bring up
the same issue?

> [...]
> 
> Perhaps ‘guix pull’ should have a ‘--rescue’ option to do the trick
> above?

Oh, I don't feel competent enough to give ideas, but “pull --rescue”
sounds too generic to me. Maybe there will be other use cases that will
require a (different) rescue trick in future. Instead, your commit
9c9982dc0 suggests a “pull --substitute-missing-derivations” to me.

> HTH,
> Ludo’.

Thank you very much for that fast response and commits!
best regards
Kai

-- 
Kai Mertens <[email-masked]>
OpenPGP Key-ID: 0x40B15AB4B05B5BF1 on keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint = 7C83 0A80 01FF 679C 6E8E  AFD3 40B1 5AB4 B05B 5BF1
What is that? Please check: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/